3D-Micromac introduces selective laser annealing system for semiconductor, power device and MEMS manufacturing
microPRO™ RTP leverages state-of-the-art optics, line scan and step-and-repeat spot options, and multiple wavelengths to provide highly versatile laser platform
Chemnitz, Germany, June 25, 2018—3D-Micromac AG, the industry leader in laser micromachining and roll-to-roll laser systems for the semiconductor, photovoltaic, medical device and electronics markets, today unveiled the microPRO™ RTP—its new laser annealing system designed to enable several key process steps in semiconductor, power device and MEMS manufacturing. Combining a state-of-the-art laser optic module with 3D-Micromac’s modular semiconductor wafer processing platform, the microPRO RTP provides selective annealing with high repeatability and throughput in a versatile system.
The microPRO RTP features a line scan option for vertical selective annealing and a step-and-repeat spot option for horizontal selective annealing, as well as three optional laser wavelengths (near infrared, green and ultraviolet). The microPRO RTP addresses a variety of applications, including:
- Dopant activation for insulated gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs), as well as activation of backside illuminated (BSI) CMOS image sensors and amorphous silicon (a-Si) – the microPRO RTP uses a high-speed line scan with excellent energy homogeneity and repeatability to provide precise localization of the field stop layer, which minimizes heat transference to the front-side of the wafer
- Ohmic contact formation in silicon carbide (SiC) power devices to improve resistance – using spot scanning with short laser pulses, microPRO RTP can process the entire metalized backside of SiC wafers, forming ohmic interfaces and curing grinding defects, while preventing the generation of large carbon clusters and heat-related damage to the front-side of the wafer
- Giant magneto resistive (GMR) and tunneling magneto resistive (TMR) sensor manufacturing – using a selective step-and-repeat spot and variable laser energy, microPRO RTP can selectively heat functional areas on the sensor to form and orient the magnetic fields for these MEMS sensor types
microPRO™ RTP Selective Laser Annealing System for Semiconductor Applications
“As microelectronics adopt 3D/stacked architectures to achieve more functionality, manufacturers need annealing solutions that can process the surface layers of their devices without affecting buried structures underneath. The migration to new materials and heterogeneous integration adds even more complexity to the annealing process, driving the need for selective exposure of functional areas, which only selective laser annealing can provide. Leveraging our years of experience in providing laser solutions to the semiconductor and microelectronics market, 3D-Micromac is pleased to offer our new microPRO RTP laser annealing solution, which provides the selectivity, flexibility and throughput our customers need to meet their unique annealing requirements,” stated Hans-Ulrich Zühlke, product manager at 3D-Micromac.
The microPRO RTP provides numerous advantages compared to existing annealing methods, including:
- High precision and repeatability in both X and Y directions
- High selectivity to different substrates and films, with multiple options for laser pulse length, energy and overlap to ensure no damage to the area surrounding the target site
- Very high energy homogeneity
- Precise process monitoring
- Flexibility to handle substrate diameters ranging from 50mm up to 300mm
Media, analysts and potential customers interested in learning more about 3D-Micromac’s laser micromachining solutions, including the microPRO RTP, are invited to visit the company at SEMICON West 2018, July 10-12 at the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco, Calif., in South Hall, booth #1645. More information on microPRO RTP is also available on https://3d-micromac.com/laser-micromachining/products/micropro/.
Founded in 2002, 3D-Micromac AG is the industry leader in laser micromachining, delivering powerful, user-friendly and leading-edge processes with superior production efficiency. We develop processes, machines and turnkey solutions at the highest technical and technological level. 3D-Micromac systems and services have been successfully implemented in various high-tech industries worldwide, including photovoltaic, semiconductor, glass and display industries, micro diagnostics, and medical technology.
Manager, Marketing and Public Relations
Tel: +49 371 40043-26
Open Sky Communications